Preparing an improvement plan in chess is as important as it is in the different aspects of life. I have taken help from Dan Heisman and Susan Polgar to work out a plan for my self. Detail of the plan is:
- Play at least one game of chess per day.
- Improve my knowledge by reading chess books cover to cover, at least one each on opening, middle game and end game.
- Pick one opening to specialize with when playing white and learn it well.
- Learn two good openings as black to use against 1.e4 and 1.d4.
- Learn to avoid recklessly attack but to play defensively when the situation requires it.
- Annotate my own games immediately after playing them.
- Study some annotated games of the top rated players.
- Update my blog at least twice a week.
This is my initial plan. I’ll review it after a month to evaluate my progress.